Friday, December 09, 2005

Museo de Arte Moderno

Got off to a late start but had breakfast at my favourite spot in Zona Rosa, Los Biscuits de Obregon which has the most amazing cafe con leche ever. Then headed to the Museo de Arte Moderno (Museum of Modern Art). For only $20 pesos (that's $2 US as opposed to the $20 US the Museum of Modern Art in NYC charges) you could take in an impressive exhibit of Latin American artists including this sculpture by Rogelio Polesello from Argentina which absolutely knocked me out -- talk about the perfect piece of art for creating other pieces of art. All I could think about was how cool it would be to shoot nudes through it.

What really got me excited though was seeing my first Frida Khalo, which is part of their permanent collection. I've seen so many of her paintings in books that it was awe inspiring to see an original up close. And to top it off it's one of the pieces that always intriqued me. I was lucky enough to fire off the shots of the painting before security told me I wasn't to take any pictures --(big smile, "oh really no fotografia, lo siento").


Other features worth noting is the amazing skylight domes in both buildings of the Museum and the sculpture garden which is located between them.

I then walked along Paseo de la Reforma and back through Zona Rosa on my way to the metro. Talk about a trip into the twilight zone: I was propositioned by a woman who told me in spanish that I was very sexy and would I like to go hang out with her, then I stopped in a store to buy a I HEART DF t-shirt and the owner there asked me if I played in a band because I look like a rockstar, finally in the never-ending Americanization of Mexico I was walking by Popeye's (yeah, that's right the chicken place) and inside they had troubadours singing. That was enough for me, I went to Starbucks got my venti skim latte (only $3.40 here as opposed to over $4 in both NYC and Canada, I guess they're closer to where the coffee beans are picked) and headed back to my hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis