Monday, May 29, 2006

Only in NYC

So I'm dragging my sorry ass home at 4:30 in the morning in Harlem, an area that most people would be terrified to walk through even in the daylight hours, and I pass by some tiny little woman, who is drawing deeply on a cigarette she's just mooched off another passerby and she says, "If somebody is messin' with you, I'll fuck them up, so c'mon put a smile on yer face. Say cheese!" At which point, I couldn't do anything but turn back and smile. She hollars at me "That's better." Then I cross the street and two black men are on the sidewalk talking to one another, and one stops his conversation as I pass by and says "How's it going brother." And finally, as I turn the corner up to my street, a crack head, who can barely walk, staggers past me and greets me with "Good morning" to which I reply the same. Hardly what you'd expect from the more dangerous elements of society, but that's the New York City I know and have come to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis