Sunday, June 18, 2006

Happy Father's Day

As so often is the story with most gay men I know, my Dad and I got off to a rough start. He was a hard-working truck driver born and raised in rural Alberta and I was kid who tended to gravitate to the arts, wasn't skilled or even that interested in team sports (god knows, I tried), with a love of big city life and all the speed and action that was inherent in that. So to say the least, we did not see eye to eye. To make matters worse, I was a moody, confused, teenager who chose to shut down at times of confrontation rather than work towards communicating. Fortunately I've changed that behaviour in my adult life. For many years we just didn't have very much to talk about or share. But in recent years, I'd have to say that since coming out to my parents, he has been extraordinarily understand and accepting -- I wonder now if our history would have been different if I had been brave and confident enough to discuss my sexuality much earlier on. Regardless, we are at a wonderful place now and have a relationship that many men (regardless of their orientation) do not have with their fathers. I'm very lucky to have a Dad that is supportive, loving and interested in my life. So today especially, I want to say I love you and Happy Father's Day.

My father, Frank
Sherwood Park, 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis