Monday, September 11, 2006

Five Years Ago Today - 9/11

Five years ago today, I awoke to a phone call from my parents, back home in Edmonton, checking that I was somehow safe from planes and falling buildings in NYC. The ensuing 48 hours, sitting glued to my television set, were the most emotional, helpless, and traumatic moments of my life. I was able to tear myself away briefly to go up on my apartment rooftop in Harlem, some 8 - 10 miles away, and shoot off this one photo. That was all I could bring myself to take.



I will never go see movies like United 93 or World Trade Center, the experience to this day is still too raw. Tears, sorrow and grief remain just below the surface.

The only footage I have been able to watch to date, was the extremely provocative "The Falling Man" which will have an encore broadcast tonight on CBC Newsworld. This show perhaps best encapsulates the profound human tragedy that occured during that most photographed day in history.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis