Tuesday, March 21, 2006

$$$$$

I felt bad today. I received an email from Hebert, who I mentioned extensively in blog entries/postings when I was in Queretaro last November/December. He was John's sweet Mexican roommate, but when John relocated to San Miguel de Allende, Hebert moved to his sister's in D.F. (Mexico City). And now his dream of moving to America is about to come true. I guess he's making the jump to the US on April 1st and he doesn't have enough money. He asked me to loan him $500 but I honestly don't have any cash to spare. Having been away from NYC (and subsequently away from most of my work) I have just enough to get by -- and at some point buy my return plane ticket. I explained it all to him (in both spanish and english). I hope he understands. I know to these Mexican boys, visitors like myself from the North appear to have an endless supply of cash when we are in their country but as anyone who knows me well, I live very close to the bone. A good life but certainly not an extravagant one. It's times like this that I wish I was independently wealthy and could help out someone as deserving and as honorable as Hebert.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis