Sunday, November 20, 2005

Puerto Vallarta


Spent an amazing four days (from Thursday, Nov. 17 to Sunday, Nov. 20) in Puerto Vallarta.


Luc (left) and Victor (right)

the boys in bed (note the beautiful matching wristbands -- awww) Posted by Picasa

I went specifically to meet my buddies, Luc and Victor from Vancouver Island (who I saw just a few weeks back when I was in Vancouver), who were there for a week as early Christmas presents to one another. It was so wonderful to sit with them out on the beach and soak up the sun (and drink a lot of Coronas) -- very therapuetic. Ha Ha. I have to say a huge thank you to both of them, you guys made it so much fun! We did some of the touristy things (hey c'mon it was my first time there), did the rounds at the local bars and clubs, were invited to an art opening, and despite hangovers, sunstroke, an eye infection and overpriced tequila shots, we had a load of laughs in the process.

San Pancho Posted by Picasa


Boca del Naranjo Posted by Picasa
However, the best day I had was when Vic rented a car and the three of us drove to two remote beaches up the coast -- San Pancho aka San Francisco and Boca Del Naranjo. Both places were breathtakingly beautiful and the serenity was overwhelming -- plus it was fun to go swimming nude.



Giaco (left) and Raymundo (right)


the whole gang at Raymundo's studio Posted by Picasa

What made the trip even more spectacular was meeting two local artists from Puerto Vallarta, Raymundo Valencia and Giaco (who also happens to be an incredible dj). These guys gave me a real insiders' view to the city, great local restaurants, affordable hotels, and info/recommendations that only someone who lived there would know. Another big thank you goes out to these two remarkable osos (wink), who I'm thrilled to call my new friends. What I appreciated most was that they steered me clear of all the typical tourist stuff, which I have to admit was a real cultureshock (and not a desirable one) after having spent so much of my time away from the usual American tourists. I have to say that the hotel zone and some parts of the beach were filled with the ignorant and nasty "Y'all" type of travellers. I couldn't get away from them fast enough. And what made it worse is they attract the ugly type of Mexicans that are trying to take advantage of stupid American tourists -- they have and angle on everything and real smart-ass attitudes. My recommendation is stay away from the hotels like Los Pelicanos, that's where Luc & Vic stayed. It was just bad all the way around, expensive, bad food, and worst of all incredibly rude and stringent security and staff -- a total nightmare. I was glad to be staying in the old downtown at a great little place near the Rio Cuale called Belmar Hotel.

Overall I loved Puerto Vallarta. Here's a few photos from my time there, which included being there for the "Day of the Revolution" which had a great little parade along the malecon (oceanside boardwalk). I'm considering maybe heading back there for a few more days before I leave Mexico.




the malecon (l) and a parade participant Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis